Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Off To Colombia


I'm headed off to travel around Colombia with Jade, one of the girls I met in the house here in Lima. I arrive in cartagena tomorrow at 4:20pm. We're flying to Cartagena first, where we're going to stay in a hostel. There are some a lot of cool day trips we can do from there and the city is awesome. On the 30th we're going to fly to Medellin, the city Jade has been staying since she left Lima. She's been staying with a family for the past few weeks, and they have been gracious enough to say I can stay there as well. We will be in Medellin for Halloween and then Jade's birthday. While we're in Medellin, we're going to go see the city and do a few day trips. I am the most excited about going to the mud volcano (the picture's not me..those will come! I just wanted to give you an idea of what it is). I'll be returning to Lima on the 10th. Once I get back I will have one more month of volunteering!

One of the other volunteers here is teaching my 6th and 5th grade classes for me. I've made lesson plans and written out all the tests and homework for her, so all she has to do is teach. I feel like a real teacher, making sub plans. I'm a bit sad that I'm leaving my classes and the girls at La Punta, but this is a once in a lifetime chance. I'm going to keep in touch with the girls at La Punta by email!

I'm sure that when you red that first sentence, you thought of how unsafe Colombia is. I know my mom and dad have had their worries. From what I've read, and what someone told my mom a few days ago, Colombia is ten times safer than it was 5 years ago. As long as you stay out of the mountains (which I am planning on doing), and in populated areas you will be fine. Jade has been there for a while now, and she says there are a ton of police around, and that it looks/feels safer than Lima because they actually care. Lima's police are commonly found with their phones in their helmets so they cant talk on them without looking like they are. Even more commonly, you can find them with all their equipment on the ground at a snack cart buying food. Oh how I love Peruvians. Jade also said that there are a lot of blonds in Colombia, so I won't stand out s much as I do here. In Peru, I have seen zip blonds other than the volunteers who stay in the house with me.

Hasta luego Lima, I'll see you in 23 days!

1 comment:

  1. Take great care of yourself. For sure STAY OUT OF THE MOUNTAINS!!! love you

    ReplyDelete