Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's The Little Things In Life

Yesterday, I went to San Antonio's for the first time in a week. I was supposed to go last friday, but I ended up at home sick. I'm not going to lie though, I really didn't want to go on Friday. I was almost relieved to be sick.

I went to mass on Sunday at the Catholic church on Sunday, San Miguel Arcangel. This was the second time I have been able to make it to mass at this church, and the third time while I've been in Lima. It was the first time that I took my Magnificat with me to read along during mass. Having the Magnificat with all the Mass parts, psalm, and reading, and gospel in English made Mass much more meaningful and enjoyable for me. I realized just how much I miss Christ the King and all my SEARCH friends. But, being in church made me feel very much at peace, and remember the reason why I am here.

I ended up here because of a series of complications with the whole college process. My mom thought a few of them were too "perfect" to be coincidences and had to be "God things." I came to believe this as the time to travel to Peru neared. It really did all work out just a little too perfectly to just have happened.

Going to mass made me remember that I'm here to do God's will, and that some of the things I'm going to be doing will not always be fun and exciting for me. On Wednesday, I went to San Antonio's with a new outlook. Yes, it may be tiring and boring at times to sit in a room with 15 two year olds, but they need to be loved. I remembered all the love and attention that my parents, grandparents, friends, and family gave me growing up and realized that these kids get about 1/10th the love that I got. Me just being there, holding them, talking to them, and trying to get them to be nice to each other, no matter how fruitless it may seem, makes a difference to them.

On Wednesday, something happened that made me want to keep coming back. We have two babies with down syndrome in the 2 year old room. I think that they must be older, but have been held back because they are under developed. Neither of them can walk, but one is starting to learn. Yesterday, he was in the back of the room by himself trying to stand up and take a few steps. When he finally managed, no one really noticed because they were busy with all the other kids. I was sitting on the floor holding two kids and watching him from across the room, when one little boy, who is usually quite a bully, came up to me and made me get up and go watch the baby with down syndrome walk. He was so excited for him, clapping and patting him on the back. I started clapping too, and you could just see the boys face light up as he was being encourage. He became much more determined to take those steps. I loved seeing one of the boys peers celebrate for him, it made me appreciate God's love and purpose for putting me here.

For you SEARCH people out there, the Bryan Adams song "Everything I Do" came on today in the bus home from Pachacutec. I was in the middle of grading papers that weren't getting very good grades and was really frustrated. We have spent a month learning what was on the test, and most of the kids still got a "C." The song made me stop and take a few deep breaths and realize that it will all be ok…gotta love SEARCH memories!

I have been looking for something concrete to give money to since I've been here. Today, I met with one of the 6th grade teachers. I am going to sponsor their graduation, which I will unfortunately just miss (December 16th). I think I will end up getting them food for the reception, graduation gifts, and someone to film the ceremony!

Thanks for all the love and support back home!

2 comments:

  1. touching post sweet Maemie! We miss you! Speaking of SEARCH, pray for Hagan... he is making it next weekend!

    ReplyDelete