Monday, September 20, 2010

It's The Weekend!



This weekend has brought a lot of cool sights. On Friday, we went out on the town. We went toBarrancco, which is beautiful at night! On Saturday we got up nice and early to go to Pachacamac.The guide book which said the drive would be about a 45 minute drive, was drastically off. It must have taken us 2 hours on a bus to get to the ruins. I'm not complaining though, sometimes the bus rides end up being the best way to see the city as it really is Not just the touristy parts, but the real Lima. I love the people that come on the bus trying to sell everything and anything you could think of. I've seen a girl selling pens and a manselling clips (which according to him, were not just any clips. His major selling point was that the clips actually clip and hold..wait for it, wait for it..PAPER. Yes, they do as a matter of fact hold paper…who would have thought.) One of my favorites was a group of four that just couldn't seem to keep the beat together to the song they were singing. I also love that you canget practically any food without getting out of your seat. Pineapple in bags, ice cream, chips, candy, and oh so much more. I'm starting to think that these people love food more than Americans?



The ruins we saw on Saturday were very nice, I never expected to see actualbuildings still standing. The tour was a little wordy, and I might have lost focus about halfway though, but I did get some wonderful pictures! We came back from the ruins and went to see Going the Distance at the movietheater. If you are Peruvian, going to the movies is a serious thing. You can get anything from muffins and ice cream to popcorn and hotdogs at the concession stands. I told you before, the love their food here. I thought that popcorn back home came in large sizes, but the large here must be double your average American large.

Today I went to mass at the Catholic church near my house with Jade, one of the other people living in the house. I really love this church, and thanks to my Magnificat I pretty much knew what was going on this time. We ate pizza for lunch on Pizza Street, which was amazing! Then we went to some Inca markets and I bought some gifts for some you all back home (GRandma and Hayley!!!). I can't wait to give gifts at Christmas! I also got myself a jumper and some socks! (I only brought 4 pairs and this house is absolutely freezing.)


We went to see some other ruins after lunch. They were pretty, but the tour was 45 minutes too long. 15 minutes would have sufficed. What I got out of the tour was that most of the ruins had been restored (so they were not real ruins) and that they had some really funny fake people at the end in loincloths. I'm not going to waste any more space on here telling you about them.

I really should go to bed now (it's 2:08)..I'm working at San Antonio's tomorrow!

Good night, I love yall!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Maemie, Had a good time with your dad and sibs last weekend. Marsh says hello. She is always looking for a lap to sit on, but stays a short time. Keep up the touring. love you

    ReplyDelete