Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tourist

Grammy and Pawpaw are in Peru, and we're busy! Here's a short day by day of what we've done so far…pictures to come later since I left my camera cord at home.

November 19, 2010: They arrived at 11:35pm. I met them at the airport and we got a cab to our hotel, The Gran Hotel Bolivar. It is gorgeous, very old fashioned. The elevator is a bit frightening, we thought we were stuck inside at hone point. I opt for the stairs if I'm going up or down by myself, I think I better not test my luck too much.

November 20, 2010: Lima. We got up and walked to Plaza de Armas. We got lunch on the river (it's really just a dried up river bed) bank, went inka market shopping, and got a tour to San Cristobal. Grammy and Pawpaw thought the ride up to the cross was a bit dodgy, but it was worth it once we got to the top. It was my 3rd time up, but my 1st actually seeing the view. The ever present gray skies over Lima are finally clearing up. After resting in the room for a few hours, we went to mireflores for guess what…MORE INKA SHOPPING! We also got dinner at a Swiss restaurant. It was amazing! I've been trying to make them try all the Peruvian foods, so after dinner we dot picarones and churros! Delicioso

November 21, 2010. We got up bright and early and got a cab to he airport. We arrived in Cusco with no mishaps, booked a Machu Picchu tour for tomorrow, and then headed to our hotel in Cusco. This one is ever better that the last. The rooms are absolutely amazing. When we got here, we got coco tea (the first of many times I'm sure). After a short break, we decided to find lunch. We walked down to the main plaza, once again within easy walking distance, stopping on the way for a lot of pictures and yet some more inka market shopping. This time we were a bit more successful. My mom sent a huge list of things she wanted from the markets, and we managed to find all but one of them in the same place! We went to a restaurant that I went to with my parents and Pawpaw got cebiche, the national dish! Now, were chilling in the room, we may be adventurous tonight and get cuy!

November 22, 2010: Machu Picchu didn't lose any of its amazingness the second time! We had an amazing guide, and I learned a ton about the place. Last time, we abandoned our guide along with half our group to go explore the ruins ourself. I learned why they built everything slanted and trapezoidal, and what all those random rooms were for. Didd you know that no families lived in Machu Picchu? After our tour, we headed back on the train (4 very long hours). Back at the hotel, we ordered dinner and settled down to sleep early. You would think that sitting on a train for 8 hours wouldn't make you so tired but I slept like a baby.

November 23, 2010: We got up and had breakfast at our hotel (very good, fruit, yogurt, granola, breads, eggs, and cheese…), packed, and then went out for a bit of Inka market shopping. Our flight back to Lima was quick, and the landing was smooth. We got back to the hotel unpacked and headed out to dinner. We went to Norky's, the Peruvian favorite. The food never fails to be amazing at Norky's, and it was only 60 soles too!

November 24, 2010: A slight bump in the plan happened today, we were supposed to go on a city tour, when the bus never arrived, we realize we were supposed to go on it yesterday. So, were going to Miraflores today and the tour tomorrow! No worries! Off to the Metro to buy coco tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment