Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Picture Tells A Thousand Words



I was going to give you a very short day by day update of what I did, but I had the whole post written and it didn't save. It just wasn't meant to be. So now I'm just going to pick my favorite pictures and give you a short explanation..here it goes:)

We went to a theme park, which had some pretty cool rides. This is the view form the boat ride.


The park had a log ride. Jade told me I would get pretty wet, but I was just expecting your normal wetness from a ride like this.







I was not expecting to look like I had just showered. Needles to say, we went and laid out on the concrete to dry a bit before moving on to other rides.









In order to get to Parque Norte, the theme park, we had to take the Metro. Carlos, one of the sons of the family we were staying with said the Metro would be too hard for us to do on our won, but we managed!









Oh the faces you make on a ride that takes you upside down. This picture is thanks to my wonderful photography skills.







Fresh strawberry juice from the fruit bar near our house.











A grotto that is alongside a busy road. We passed the place many times, and there were always cars lined up from people who were visiting. We decided to stop in one day when walking past.





Jade and I decided to take a tour of the city one day, so we could see all parts of it. On one of our stops, we stopped in a park that had a collection of statues like this one.















It was raining on our tour, so they gave us a huge Colombian colored umbrella which screamed TOURIST. Jade's photography skills in this one are pretty good though…Colombian umbrella and the Colombian flag.




We also stopped at a University Park. It had a bunch of cool things like a reflections pool, sundials, and this thing. There were two of them a bit apart, and you could stand both of them and talk to the person at the opposite on.




A fountain at one of our stops.







Our tour group.







Fruit salad. Good, but weird. It had all different kinds of fruit, granola, yogurt, creamy milky sauce, and cheese just to name a few.










The gorgeous views we drove by the whole way there.







The dad, Juan Carlos, and Carlos took Jade and I to the family finca, or vacation house for the weekend. We traveled through some cute town on the way. One town had really cute taxis.





We stopped at a restaurant on the side of the road to see this rock, the second largest in South America.






For all my lovely St. Cecilia girls out there, I made Jade do it with me in this one.






My FAVORITE food we tried, sweet corn arrepas with butter and cheese!






The view from our back balcony.







Alejandra, Me, and Jade. Alejandra is the little sister of the family, she is 13.






On the way to Saboneta (an area of Medellin), we say the beginnings of their Christmas decorations being put up. Medellin is going to be so cool at Christmas time, picture things like this, but all up and down the street. And then lit up! They were already putting up lights everywhere when I left. All the parks had things hanging form the trees, and the malls had lights all over them too.






The fountain in the main park of Saboneta. It was so pretty with everything hanging in the trees, and the fountain, and birds.






Jade's awesome photography skills.







One of my favorite Colombian foods after the arrepas. It is a wafer sandwich with arequipa and jam in the middle.










So, I may have gained the freshmen 15 here even though I'm not in college. But, can you blame me? I'm faced with bakeries like this with so many delicious things on almost every street corner. How can I not try everything?




And yet another food we tried. Although we though it looked disgusting, it ended up being pretty dang good.







A church in Saboneta. They were having mass around noon, and it was so packed that people were standing outside.






They have religious stores all over the place. If there's a church near, there is going to be tons of stores selling religious items.






One of the malls close to our house.







We stayed home and watched a movie with Carlos one night, and decided to get into full Gringo attire. Carlos is not a huge fan of looking like a tourist, and told Jade she couldn't wear her gringo jumper anymore.









I got to be there for Jade's birthday!! We went and had lunch with the family (Where we got to eat cow's blood mixed with rice stuffed into cow intestine), she skyped her family, and we went and got our nails done.




The dog form hell, she managed to pee, poop, and barf in our room all within 24 hours.






Candida, the wonderful woman who cooked our meals and took great care of me while I was in Medellin.










Last picture:( This was right before we lost it and started bawling.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say hi Maemie, looks like you are having an amazing experience! can't wait to see you at Christmas.
    Love, Aunt Colleen

    ReplyDelete