Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Is In The Air

So I'm on my last week, and the list of things I have to do is getting longer, not shorter. I did have a fairly successful day today. Two volunteers and I went to the central Lima markets. A place I had been told about very early on, but had really only dreamed of going. I ventured out to China Town fairly early in my time here, and it was beyond anything I had imagined. Huge, lots of people, and stores selling any thing and everything at amazing prices. China town did nothing to prepare me for the sight of the central Lima markets.

We got dropped off at the beginning of the main street and were told by out cab driver to walk straight. So walk we did, and it took us less than twenty steps and we were in the middle of hundreds upon hundreds of people selling and buying. Stores lines the wide streets once used for driving, but now closed to the happenings of the markets to go down on. People walked up and down selling bags to put all your finds in. Food carts were scattered around selling icecream ,stuffed potatoes, jello, and cerviche in a bag. The buildings on wither side of the street was where all the main action took place. One had all party supplies, floors dividing up different categories. Another might be all electronics, while yet another holds housewares. But we weren't on the search for party supplies, electronics, or household items, we were looking for toys. For you see, it's about to be Christmas time here, and the babies in my room need some new toys.

So there we were, three white girls in a sea of olive skinned Peruvians, and we were walking like we were instructed. We managed to find a building that was selling toys, and ventured in. Three hours later, three huge bags later, and quite a bit of money later, we headed home. The huge bags, and when I say huge I mean you could put a good sized grown man in it, that the women all sell cam in quite handy. I don't know if we could have managed the eighty seperate black trash bags.

We got cars, toys that sing, musical instruments, trollers, babydolls, and tons of other things. I'm hopefully going to be able to give the kids the toys tomorrow, but there has been a bit drama surounding the whole situation. Another girls and I deciede just to buy the toys without Lidia's help, becasue we knew what they needed and wanted to buy. Once I got home with them, I was told that I might not be ble to give the toys to the kids. I never fully understood the reason why, but I'm going to take them to the orpahange with me tomorrow and talk ot the director if I need to. I'm just going to stay positive hope that it is going to work out! The kids are going to love the toys, all the toys they have are either broken or dolls with no head or no legs.

I'll let you know how it goes with the toys! Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment