Sunday, July 24, 2011

joselyn

Thanks to all of you who have been praying for Joselyn.  Katie and I went to see her today at the home she is staying in, and she seems so be doing ok.  She is sad because she has no family.  I think she is also tired. She is studying to become a nurse and will be done in two years.  At sixteen, this is a lot to handle.  Put that on top of living with 11 other girls all the time, and the sadness of having no family to care for you, and I think I would be tired too.

Katie and I arrive at her house about 20 minutes earlier than we thought we would because we went there straight after mass and it ended a bit earlier than I thought it would. When we got there, we learned that Joselyn was out with a tutor studying for school.  We waited for about 30 minutes, and then the other girls invited us to eat lunch with them.  Lunch was an absolutely delicious meal of rice, black eyed peas, and what I thought was pulled pork in a sauce of some kind.  As I was on my last few bites, Katie leaned over and said that it was fish. I asked how she knew and she showed me the scales mixed in.  Being the good eater than I am, I finished the whole plate and even finished off Katie's drink that she wasn't going to drink.  Somehow, when I eat here, I become immune to the grossness of what I'm putting in my mouth.  I think it goes with the whole politeness/don't wast food thing.  If it's on your plate you eat it; enough said.  Although it as a delicious meals, it also can go down in the books as one of the most awkward meals in history.  Once everyone sat down and said prayers, all the girls and the mom started eating and no one said anything.  Not on word.  I got the feeling that this was because of us too, every time I looked up, I found one or two girls staring at us.  I ate fast.

After lunch we waited for Joselyn for about 20 more minutes.  When Joselyn finally came in the door, she saw me and ran over and gave me a huge hug.  We then proceded to have a lively hour long visit using my very rough spanish,  hand motions, google translate, my handy mini dictionary.  I think that Joselyn enjoyed the visit a lot.  As we were getting ready to leave, I told her we would come back to visit next weekend and she was so surprised.  She said that if we came back a second time, she would be able to leave with us!  When I told here that I would take her to skype with Jade, her biggest hero in the world, I swear she almost cried.

All in all, Joselyn is just about the sweetest girl in the world.


-Please continue to pray for Joselyn as she goes to school.  
-The babies at San Antonio's are going to be moving to their new orphanage this week, pray that it al goes smoothly and we will get to work with them at their new home.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sissy.. I have sent a reminder out to "everyone" about your return to Peru and your blog. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Many who I have sent the blog link to have told me they read as they cried. Your writing is beautiful and clearly heartfelt. You are changing the world whether you realize it or not. I love and miss you... hug everyone you see for me. And tell Lydia and Elizabeth thanks for me. xoxo.. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. you think fish is gross?

    ReplyDelete