Monday, July 25, 2011

not babies anymore

Today was a great day.  I spent the morning at San Antonio's playing with my little baby boys.  I realized is that their not really babies anymore.  I wish I was allowed to take pictures so you could see how much they have grown.  But it's not just growing physically, they are growing up.

The last time I was in this room, no one could talk.  They hadn't learned to count, or point to parts on their body.  They couldn't play a real game like rolling a ball, and they most definitely couldn't listen.  Had you walked in their little room last summer, you would have found me with five babies sitting in my lap.  If you had walked in today, you would have found five children sitting in a circle on the floor rolling the ball around.

I was truly amazed today as I realized how much they have grown up.  My baby Joni had a conversation with me today.  We didn't talk about anything awesome, but we talked.  I see the growth in him the most.  Probably because I spent the most time with him last time.  He used to be shy, tentative, and clingy.  Today, he is outgoing, he laughs all the time, and he is so sweet.

He has blossomed over the last six months.  My one wish for him and all the others is that they stay as innocent and sweet as they are now.  I've worked in the room that they will go to next, those kids can be mean.  Not because they are mean kids, but because that is the room where they start to not get as much attention.  In the baby rooms, there are two sometime three moms.  In the older rooms there is only one mom.  She struggles to just get them up, fed, dressed, and ready for school.  There is no time for love in that room.

Even though these babies don't have anybody to guide them into childhood, they are learning.

I was reminded today that there is hope. I hope that they will learn to love even though there is no one showing them how to.  I hope that in time they will learn how special they are.  I hope they feel wanted.  I hope they will lean of God's great love for them even though there is no one to tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment