Tuesday, July 19, 2011

the waiting game has begun...

Katie and I arrived safely to the Fort Lauderdale Airport, and are waiting for our plane to Lima.  It leaves tonight around 5:30.  We should arrive in Lima, if all goes well, around 10:00pm tonight.

                                                                                              Five more hours!

Even though we have only been sitting here waiting for maybe three hours, I have realized how much I hate waiting.  Thinking about my life, I can see that I don't wait.  If I decide I want to buy something, I got to the store right then.  If I want to do something, it happens as soon as possible.  This waiting is really testing my patience.  I want to be there, not here.  The game is no fun.


As I was thinking about this, I realized how blessed I am to be waiting for something that I know will come.  I am only waiting for 8 hours.  After that, it's over.  All these children that Katie and I are going to love on in the orphanages, they are also playing this waiting game.  And for them, it's really no fun.  It is a painful game. 


All these babies are also waiting, waiting for a family.  For someone to love them and hold them and tuck them in at night.  Waiting for something that they may never get.  I can't imagine how they must feel.  I've never truly waited for anything compared to these babies.  


For me, the injuries of the game are a little bordom and maybe a few dollars lost on food bought.  For them, the injuries are feeling unwanted, unloved, and not good enough. Worst of all, this painful game they are in is not even their fault.  It's nothing they have done that has made them the unwanted children of society.  


My waiting?  Maybe it's not so bad after all.


I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.                                                   -Psalm 40:1 
He will hear their cries, I believe it.  He has great rewards stored up for them for their waiting.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for you to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"                                                                  - Jeremiah 29:11 
 There is a hope for them, and I think it's in us.  The everyday normal people who God has blessed beyond belief.  He has given me much more than I will even need, and He didn't give it to me so I could keep it all for myself.  He gave it to me so I can show others His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment